Weather Change Brings a Chimney Fire - 302 Railroad Avenue Goldsboro

Wednesday, July 4, 2018
After a week that saw temperatures in the low 90's, a sudden cool snap brought on a chimney fire in the 7-1 Box. At approximately 2000 hours, Stations 700, 600 (Greensboro), 56 (Marydel) and 400 (Ridgely) were alerted for a chimney fire at 302 Railroad Avenue in The Hub. Officer 716 (B. Cahall) arrived within minutes on foot and confirmed smoke from the chimney of a two story residence before establishing Railroad Avenue Command. Engine 703 (JT Bartz) arrived shortly thereafter and made entry into the dwelling and emptied the wood stove and checked for extension into the walls and ceilings. Crews from Greensboro and Marydel arrived and laddered the roof and used chains to break up several hot spots from the interior walls of the chimney. Several cracks in the chimney and flue were discovered and the homeowner was advised to seek repairs before using the wood stove and chimney again. Units worked on the scene for approximately 40 minutes before returning to service. Our "thanks" goes out to everyone for their assistance, including the crew from Engine 401 who was placed available on the box assignment but stood by at Station 700 until the situation was placed under control.

Views: 38
Views: 34
Views: 44
Views: 37
Views: 45